Emily Young, Associate
Emily has a broad litigation practice that includes civil, commercial, regulatory, and public and constitutional matters. She has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario and at the Supreme Court of Canada. She served as Commission Counsel for the Ottawa Light Rail Transit Public Inquiry in 2022.
Before joining Polley Faith as an associate, Emily summered at the firm and completed her articles at the Court of Appeal for Ontario, clerking for the Honourable J. Michal Fairburn, Associate Chief Justice of Ontario; the Honourable Kathryn Feldman; and the Honourable Benjamin Zarnett. Emily then served as a law clerk to the Honourable Andromache Karakatsanis of the Supreme Court of Canada.
Emily received her Juris Doctor (Honours) from the University of Toronto, earning distinction standing in each of her three years. Emily also holds an Honours Bachelor of Arts from Queen’s University, where she graduated with the gold medal in Philosophy.
During law school, Emily was a student caseworker at Advocates for Injured Workers, a legal researcher at the Industrial Accident Victims Group of Ontario, and a senior editor for the Journal of Law and Equality. Emily also mooted in the Kawaskimhon National Aboriginal Moot and the National Labour Arbitration Competition, volunteered with Pro Bono Students Canada, and co-chaired the Feminist Law Students’ Association. In her final year of law school, Emily spent a semester studying at the University of Amsterdam.
Prior to law school, Emily worked as a student guide at the Juno Beach Centre in Normandy, France, leading historical tours on the Canadian D-Day landing site for visitors from around the world. She is fluent in French.
Emily was called to the Bar of Ontario in 2019.
- Complex Commercial & Shareholder Disputes
- Corporate – Criminal & White-Collar Fraud
- Public & Regulatory Law
- Professional Liability
- Health Law
- Inquiries and Inquests
- Distinction standing, 2015 Fall-2018 Winter (University of Toronto, Faculty of Law)
- Course awards in Administrative Law, Discrimination Law, Labour Arbitration moot (University of Toronto, Faculty of Law)
- Medal in Philosophy (Queen’s University)
- JD (with Honours), University of Toronto, 2018
- BA (with Honours), Queen’s University, 2014
- Law Society of Ontario, 2019
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Volunteer, Pro Bono Ontario Hotline